Saturday, February 10, 2018

Thrift Store Wish List Find

I can finally mark off the Penguin Ice Bucket from my wish list. I found it at Goodwill on Wednesday. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it sitting up on the shelf in the housewares section. And the price. Someone at GW obviously did not know what they had.


It's official name is West Bend Hot & Cold Server. I believe it is aluminum but I'm not sure. It also came in a copper colored version which is more rare. I think the handles on mine, which look like penguin wings, are bakelite but they also came in wood.

This bucket was popular in the 50's and 60's and is even on display at the Museum of the American Cocktail in New Orleans. It can be used as an ice bucket or to keep rolls or biscuits warm.

Do you own one? Or did you have one growing up? Leave your comments in the section below.

1 comment:

  1. I almost feel a twinge of jealousy. You found yourself a small treasure. Pat on the back to you!!!

    ReplyDelete