Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hawaiian Shirt

Yesterday I was at Goodwill with my sister when I noticed her looking through the men's shirts. She was pulling out the Hawaiian ones and looking at the tags. She doesn't resell and was looking to buy for herself. There is a group on FB that talks about Hawaiian shirts and tiki mugs all the time so I knew there was money to be made if I found the right one.

My sister walked up to me and said "Why can't these Hawaiian shirts actually be made in Hawaii?' I pulled one out, looked at the tag and said "This one is." It is by Royal Creations.




She asked me if I was going to buy it. It was $6.99 I told her if she wanted it and it fit her she could buy it. She tried it on and it fit her. She kept asking if I was sure I didn't want it. I told her I could probably make some money off of it but it wasn't a big deal. She felt bad and let me purchase it.




I looked it up on Ebay. Prices were all over the board ranging from $49.99 to $7.99 So how do I know if I have a $50 shirt verses a $8 shirt? I asked over on the FB group for help. I asked for keywords, pricing and how to determine if it was a men's or lady's shirt. I got one response telling me it was a men's shirt if the buttons were on the right side. The second response I got was " Based on what you learned here, what would you price it at?" Ok not helpful at all. I figured if they didn't want to help, I would figure it out myself. I message the person with the second response and he replied "We're not going to do the work for you". Ummm, I wasn't asking anyone to do the work for me. I just wanted some key words to help me sell the item for the most money.




So now dear readers, I turn to you. What would you price this shirt at? Is it a $8 shirt or is it a $50 shirt?  I have no idea but maybe someone does who won't be rude about it. Thanks for any help.



13 comments:

  1. I always use Tommy Bahama as a base line. Is it silk? Does it have those wooden tiki buttons? Does it feel likes quality made shirt. Finally what condition is it in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in good condition. It is not silk and has plastic buttons. It seems to be good quality. After all, it was made in the USA. I'll have to keep looking for the Tommy's. Perhaps, I will just give it to my sister

      Delete
  2. I have no idea but you can always start high and lower your price if it doesn't sell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I'll put on Best Offer. I just wish I knew more about clothing as it is always in abundance but GW tends to over charge on anything of quality.

      Delete
  3. There is a wonderful facebook group called Thrifting With The Boys.. they are Gods and consider themselves professors of everything resale. Try them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plastic buttons would tell me that the quality was not top of the line. Not silk or rayon would be another thing that tells me it's not top of the line. Maybe middle of the road? I would expect at least $20 but I would probably start it at a little more. Just my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comments. I have decided to let my sister have it. I will now know to look for silk or rayon when looking at Hawaiian shirts

      Delete
  5. I've sold similar shirts for around $20-$25, I usually price at 35-45 and put a best offer on it. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I think I know where that was - I've seen a few replies as of late that weren't very friendly...

    I have 3 shirts listed but none of them are good brands apparently. I would probably do $19.99 w/o best offer....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Important bits:
    100% rayon (silk is best but so rare that it's almost pointless to mention)
    Wooden buttons
    'loop' for top button
    Made in Hawaii
    'matched' pattern on front pocket
    collectible theme (tropical birds, cars, fishing...)
    size Large and XL are best

    Here in SoCal I probably see 100+ every week. In my experience, THEME is the first thing I look for. SPECIFIC identifiable themes are the very best and always pull the most $$ (Tropical birds / FLAMINGOS ~ cars / CORVETTES ~ fishing / SAILFISH ...).



    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess it's different for everyone. I find lots of silk silk ones and stay away from rayon, unless it is a unique theme or design. I always price high $34.99 = $50+ (especially Tommy Bahama). I also use best offer.

    Margaret @ Live Like No One Else

    ReplyDelete